HERE'S WHAT’S IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT CARDIO EXERCISE
We all know that a good cardio workout is a crucial part of a fitness routine, with the benefits of cardio exercise including weight loss, getting ...
The word 'cardio' is probably one of the first words you hear when you first start an exercise program. We all know that a good cardio workout is a crucial part of a fitness routine, with the benefits of cardio exercise including weight loss, getting fit, or just being healthier.
Health experts recommend 150 minutes of cardio exercise per week. This can include swimming, running, biking, walking, etc. Choose your own adventure, if you will 😉 But we’re breaking it down a bit more in order to get a deeper understanding of cardio and maybe motivate you to do it a little more often! With all your Copper Slim gear handy, of course...
What is Cardio?
Cardio exercise simply means doing a fast-moving activity that raises your heart rate to burn fat and calories. Even low-intensity activities as short as 10 minutes count towards your weekly cardio exercise goals (which should be around 40 mins a day)!
Benefits of Cardio Exercise
When you realize just how much cardio exercise can do for you, you may just want to run out your front door and get moving! There are very few activities you can do for a short period of time that have THIS many benefits. So let’s list ‘em, shall we?
- Help burn fat and calories for weight loss.
- Strengthen your organs (think: heart, lungs, liver, etc.)
- Help to reduce your risk of heart attack, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and some forms of cancer.
- Makes you feel good, and can even provide relief from depression and anxiety.
- Helps you to sleep better and reduce stress.
- Gives you more confidence in how you look and feel.
Choosing a Cardio Exercise
Like every good fitness babe, you know what kind of activities you like to do in order to SWEAT!
But if for some reason you don’t, the trick is to think about what's accessible to you, what fits your (awesome!) personality, and what you'd feel comfortable with. If you like to go outdoors, running, cycling, hiking, or walking are all good choices!
If you prefer going to the gym, you have access to many more options in the form of machines like stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, treadmills, rowing machines, climbers, the pool, and more.
There are also plenty of online exercise videos, apps, and platforms to use!
You have so many choices but, the trouble is, you may not even know what you like yet. You may have to try several different activities to figure out what works best for ya. So have fun with it!
Important Tips for Choosing Your Cardio
- There is no 'best' cardio exercise. Just because your ultra-fit friend says running is the best, doesn't mean you have to do it, especially if running makes you feel like your entire body is falling apart. Anything that gets your heart rate up fits the bill, even vigorous chores like raking leaves or washing the car.
- Do something you enjoy! If you hate gym workouts, don't force yourself onto a treadmill. Walk, jog, or bike outdoors to enjoy the fresh air. If you like socializing, consider sports, group fitness, or working out with a friend.
- Choose something you can see yourself doing at least three days a week so you meet the standard exercise recommendations.
- Keep it simple. If you're confused about what to do, start with the basics—you need at least 20 minutes for the body to get going, so start there. Get out your day planner, find 20 minutes of time on three different days and do something—walking, running, going to the gym, hiking — whatever you want.
Got any more cardio tips or insight you’d like to share? We’re all ears. Drop a comment below to let us know!